What is a prepaid card?
Other consumers use prepaid cards to complement their current set of financial tools including their traditional bank account. For example, it can give them a way to set aside a certain amount a month for things like discretionary spending or a grocery budget.
Eligible in-store (select "CREDIT"), online, and over-the-phone card purchases that do not require PIN qualify to earn up to 2,500 miles per month. Transactions that require a PIN, such as debit purchases or cash withdrawals, do not qualify. See the Cardholder Agreement for complete details.
NOTE: Your Plan Fee must be fully paid before you are able to make purchases with your Card.
1 mile for every $1
spent on qualifying purchases
$85.00 per year*
1 mile for every $2
spent on qualifying purchases
$5.95 per month*
*Earn up to 2,500 miles per month. Plan fee deducted upon first load to the Card Account. You may, after your initial fee plan selection, change your fee plan. If a fee plan is not selected, the Monthly Plan is the default plan and you will earn Miles in accordance with the Monthly Plan. See your Cardholder Agreement for details.
If you decide to close your Card Account at any point during the first three (3) calendar months following your first $85.00 annual Plan Fee assessment, the Plan Fee will be prorated over a twelve (12) month period and any unused paid portion of the Plan Fee will be refunded to you as part of the account closure process. You will always forfeit the portion of the Plan Fee corresponding to the first calendar month your Card Account was active.
- Direct Deposit:
Direct deposit allows you to add your paycheck (or a portion of your paycheck) or government payments to your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card. Learn more. If you already have a MileagePlus GO Card Account click here to get the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your account number. These numbers are necessary to set up Direct Deposit.
- Mobile Check Load:
- Bank Transfers:
Add money from many U.S. issued bank accounts. If you have other bank accounts, use it to add money to your MileagePlus GO Card Account. Log in or see your Cardholder Agreement to learn more. (Fees may apply and may be assessed to the transferor.)
For transfers conducted over the phone through a Customer Service agent, there is a $4.95 fee.
- Reload Network Locations:
There are more than 130,000 convenient locations in the U.S. where you can add money to your MileagePlus GO Card Account using the Netspend Reload Network. Fees are assessed by the reload location and may vary from location to location. Our Reload Center locator can help you find the lowest cost locations nearest to you.
- Transfer money between MileagePlus GO Card Accounts and other Netspend Card Accounts:
It's simple to transfer money from one MileagePlus GO Card Account to another. And because your Card is part of the Netspend family, you can also transfer money to any other Netspend card account at no cost via your Online Account Center. (For transfers conducted over the phone through a Customer Service agent, there is a $4.95 fee.) Log in to learn more.
- Tax Refunds:
Tell the IRS to electronically deposit your refund directly to your MileagePlus GO Card Account. Simply provide the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your account number. Log in to get the bank routing number and your account number.
All or part of your paycheck can be directly deposited to your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card. You will need to provide your employer the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your account number. Log in to get the bank routing number and your account number.
- Government Payments:
Your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card makes it easy to set up direct deposit of government payments like Social Security, SSI, SSDI or VA compensation. If you are already a cardholder, log in to your Online Account Center to enroll.
- Tax Refunds:
Get Federal and State tax refunds faster than a paper check. Just have them electronically deposited directly into your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card Account. Log in to get the bank routing number and your account number.
Faster access to funds is based on comparison of Direct Deposit to a paper check. For up-to-date information from the IRS, visit www.irs.gov/refunds.
Processing of a direct deposit requires that the name associated with the direct deposit (the payee) be the same as the name associated with the Card Account. If you wish to receive direct deposits for another member of your household to the Card Account, you must add that person as a Secondary Cardholder. (Additional Card Fee applies to order a card for a Secondary Cardholder and the Secondary Cardholder's identification information must be verified to receive direct deposits.) Card load limits also apply. See your Cardholder Agreement for more information.
Faster access to funds is based on comparison of our immediate availability policy versus the typical banking practice of only posting funds after settlement. Direct Deposit and earlier availability of funds are subject to payor's support of this feature and timing of payor's funding. Check with your payor to find out when the direct deposit of funds will start.
- Log in to your Online Account Center. From the main menu, select "Direct Deposit." The information required to sign up for Direct Deposit will appear at the top of the page. You can print your Direct Deposit form from your Online Account Center to take to your employer.
Call 1-866-578-4348 and select the "Other Services" option to get your Direct Deposit information.
If you don't have a MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card and would like to sign up for direct deposit, your first step is to order a MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card. When you receive your Card in the mail, it comes with Direct Deposit enrollment instructions, including how to get the routing and account numbers. You must activate your Card and pass identity verification before your direct deposits can be credited to your Card Account.
- Social Security payments
- Pension and other regular payments
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension
- Railroad Retirement Benefits (RRB)
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service Payments (DFAS)
- State unemployment benefits (varies by state)
For up-to-date information from the IRS, visit www.irs.gov/refunds.
Using your Card Account
The maximum amount you can spend or withdraw at a time varies by type of transaction. Use this chart to determine the limits. For security reasons, we may further limit the amount or number of transactions described below.
We determine the maximum cumulative amount of your value loads and your Card Account by aggregating activity and value of all Card Accounts you have that are managed by Netspend (issued by any bank), whether you are a Primary Cardholder or Secondary Cardholder.
|Type||Maximum Amount||Frequency and Number|
|ATM Cash Withdrawal||$325.00 $940.00||Per transaction; subject to lower limits imposed by ATM owner-operator; ATM withdrawals are limited to six (6) per 24-hour period. Maximum withdrawals amount per day|
|Over-the-Counter Cash Withdrawals||$5,000.00||Per transaction|
|PIN-based or Signature-based Purchase Transactions||$5,000.00||Per transaction|
|Value Loads – POS Locations||$7,500 $15,000.00||Per 24-hour period Per thirty (30) day period|
|Maximum Card Account Value||$15,000.00||We will review ACH Deposits that may result in the value of your Card Account exceeding the stated maximum value. If we determine the ACH Deposit is valid, we may permit the value of your Card Account to exceed the stated maximum value.|
|Account-to-Account Transfer||Varies||For security reasons, there are limits on the number and dollar amount of transfers you can make to other Netspend accounts.|
|ACH Deposits – Tax Refunds||$50,000.00||Per transaction|
NOTE: Any transfers made through the use of third-party service providers (including, but not limited to, reload networks and bill payment) are subject to the frequency and dollar amount limits set by the service provider.
You may not redeem your Card for cash or use your Card for online gambling or any illegal transaction.
- Log in through your Online Account Center.
- Enroll in Anytime Alerts™, you can receive a text message including your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card Account balance after every transaction. After you've signed up for Anytime Alerts, text the letters "BAL" to 22622 anytime, and your Card Account balance will be sent to your mobile phone. (Standard message and data rates may apply. Check with your mobile provider.).
- Call 1-866-578-4348 and use our automated service or speak to a Customer Service agent.
- Visit an ATM terminal (ATM owner fees may apply)
- Bank Transfers - Add money from many U.S. issued bank accounts, including a checking or savings account or a bank debit card.
- Between Accounts – Transfer money between other MileagePlus GO Prepaid Cards or Netspend card accounts.
NOTE: Federal regulations require that we limit the number of transfers from your Savings Account to your MileagePlus GO Card Account to six (6) per calendar month.
- Log in to the Online Account Center to get started.
- From the main menu, select 'Help' and then 'File a Dispute' to start the dispute process.
- You will need your PIN to access this online service.
- Using your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card to pay for gas at the pump: You can choose to pay for gas at the pump using your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card. Let's say you fill your gas tank with $35.00 worth of gas. However, a temporary authorization hold of up to $100 or more may be placed on your Card Account. Within three days, the transaction will settle for only the actual amount of the gas purchased. That means the additional funds that were being held will be released back to the Card, thus making those funds ($65.00 or more, depending on the amount of the hold) available to you. Note: you can avoid the authorization hold by paying with a MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card at the cashier inside the gas station instead of paying at the pump.
- Using your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card to pay for a car rental: You can use your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card at car rental agencies that accept prepaid debit cards. However, they usually require a deposit of 15 percent more than the cost of renting the car. The rental agency will put an extra hold on your Card for that amount of money and the hold could last for a couple of weeks. We suggest that you call the car rental agency to inquire about how much they require for a standard deposit if paying with a prepaid debit card and how long a typical authorization hold on a prepaid debit card will last.
- Using your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card to pay for a hotel room: You can use your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card at select hotels that accept prepaid debit cards to make a room reservation. However, you should expect the hotel to place a hold on your Card. The hold will cover the hotel room rate plus an additional 15 percent, and the funds will be held until the hotel settles the transaction. A typical hotel authorization hold could be released the day of checkout, or the hold could take up to several weeks to be settled and released. We suggest that you call the hotel to inquire how much a typical authorization hold is for hotel rooms if paying with a prepaid debit card, and how long a typical authorization hold on a prepaid debit card will last.
- For ATM withdrawals within the U.S.: you will be charged a $2.50 fee per withdrawal, plus any fees charged by the ATM operator. If you use a MoneyPass ATM within the U.S., the $2.50 ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee – Domestic and the ATM owner fee will be waived.
- For ATM withdrawals outside the U.S.: you will be charged a $4.95 fee per withdrawal, plus the Foreign Transaction Surcharge and any fees charged by the ATM operator.
Also, if you use a MoneyPass ATM in the U.S., the $2.50 ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee – Domestic and the ATM owner fee are waived.
If you decide to close your Card Account at any point during the first three (3) calendar months following your first $85.00 Annual Plan payment, the Plan Fee will be prorated over a twelve (12) month period and any unused portion of the Plan Fee will be refunded to you as part of the account closure process. You will always forfeit the portion of the Plan Fee corresponding to the first calendar month your Card Account was active.
Note: many online and over-the-phone purchase transactions will also qualify as signature purchase transactions.
The qualifying signature purchase amount will then be deducted from your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card and you will earn 1 mile per $1 spend when you select the Annual Fee Plan or 1 mile per $2 spend when you select the Monthly Fee Plan. A maximum of 2,500 miles may be earned per calendar month. Miles only earned on qualifying signature purchase transactions, minus returns or refunds.
- PIN purchase transactions (transactions where you use a PIN or select "DEBIT" at the point of sale)
- ATM Cash Withdrawals or Over-the-Counter Cash Withdrawals
- The portion of any in-store purchase that represents a cash withdrawal
- Transactions that convert to or substitute for cash, such as digital wallets, casino chips, travelers checks, lottery tickets, gift cards
- Transfers to or from another card or account
- Bill payments through our online bill pay service
- Fee assessments (including the annual Plan Fee)
- Pending transactions
NOTE: only whole miles will be credited to your MileagePlus account each month. For example, if you earned 25.74 miles in June, 25 miles will be credited to your MileagePlus account by the fifth business day of July and 0.74 miles will be put toward the miles you earn in July that will be deposited early August.
For example: If you make a purchase in January that earns miles and then return that item in February, those miles earned will be deducted from any miles earned in February. This could cause your February miles earned to become negative. You can still use your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card to make signature purchases and earn miles monthly while your monthly earned miles are negative.
NOTE: if you end a calendar month with a negative miles balance on your MileagePlus GO Prepaid Card Account, this will not cause a reduction in your miles balance on your MileagePlus account.